Monday, December 11, 2017

Brother-in-law allegedly batters wife over sick brother’s property

Sixty-Year Old Mrs. Olufunke Labinjo was allegedly assaulted in public by her husband’s younger brother.

Her brother in-law, Kamal Labinjo, allegedly beat and wounded her for resisting his attempt to forcibly take over the management of her sick husband’s property.
    
The incident happened when Kamal insisted on taking inventory of the buildings owned by his sick brother, Alhaji Shamsideen Labinjo, and asked Olufunke to take him to the location of the property.
    
The distraught woman reported the matter to the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID), Alagbon, Ikoyi, Lagos.
   
The accused, who resides at No.9, Alhaji Masha Road, Surulere, Lagos State, was subsequently arrested by detectives from the Lagos State Police Command and he was arraigned before an Ikeja Chief Magistrate’s Court on November 3, 2017 for assault, which he pleaded not guilty.
   
In the suit number MIK/A/250/17, Commissioner of Police versus Kamal Labinjo, the police told the court that the accused committed the offence on September 22, 2017 at Balogun Market area of Lagos Island.
  
The presiding Magistrate, Mrs. C.M.I Aje Afunwa granted the accused bail in a sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum.
    
The case was adjourned to Wednesday, December 13 t (tomorrow).
    
Meanwhile, the woman has filed a suit against the accused for falsehood and assault.
  
In the suit filed at a Lagos High Court sitting in Igbosere, Lagos Island, the claimant is demanding a sum of N15 million as damages and perpetual injunctions restraining the accused and police from subjecting her to arrest, detention, harassment, meddling in her matrimonial home and her husband’s business or property.
  
Joined in the suit marked LD/42796 CM as second defendant is the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris.
  
The matter was to be heard on November 21 by Justice A.M. Lawal, but the judge went on retreat while no new date has been fixed for the hearing.
 
Mrs. Funke Labinjo said:   “ I am calling on Nigerians to rescue me from Mr. Kamal Labinjo. I am married to Alhaji Shamsideen Labinjo, my husband over 30 years ago. We have a son, Owolabi Labinjo, who is 24 years old.
  
“My husband fell ill in 2016 when he lost some of his property. He has been taken to different hospitals with the knowledge of his family. They were contacted immediately after he fell ill.
His younger brother, Kamal Labinjo refused to show up due to misunderstanding between the two brothers since 1994.

“Surprisingly, Kamal Labinjo wrote a petition to Alagbon Police Station. He accused me of kidnapping and using my husband for ritual. When I got to Alagbon, I was shown my husband’s beheaded picture.      

I assured the police that it was a Photoshop and I took them to where my husband was. We brought him back to Lagos and I was released.
   
He later e-arrested me. The police asked him what he wanted and he said he wanted to be in charge of my husband’s property. I agreed for peace to reign.
   
I took him to everywhere my husband had property in company of my husband’s lawyer, Mr. James Engurubhe. While taking him there, he attacked me and beat me mercilessly”.
  
Meanwhile , Kamal Labinjo claimed that Mrs.Olufunke Labinjo is keeping his brother, who is mentally-deranged, incommunicado. .

“ My brother has 20 houses in various parts of Lagos. Olufunke, who is not legally married to my brother, has cornered all documents relating to these houses. She collected N50 million from the tenants and pocketed the money.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment